Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Birthday Greta!

Today, Easter Sunday, our little Greta Bess turned 1 year old!
We had quite the busy birthday weekend (that is an understatement!!!) Greta seemed to enjoy every minute of it.
On a walk at the beach after a lovely birthday brunch with Grandpa Mac, Grandma Linda, Aunt Jenny and Uncle Dalton.
She found a special treasure at the beach, as usual. Of course, she really likes to take her time walking around--picking things up and examining what she sees. She and Papa stayed back and went at their own pace for a bit--it was so sweet to see him waiting so patiently with her and giving her the time and space to explore as she pleased.


Sword fighting with Uncle Dalton!
Too bad you can't see Grandma Mac's face in this photo very well...but it was fun to walk along with Greta like this: 3 generations together :-) Later my sister and I swung her around in the middle--she really liked that!
Our waitress heard it was Greta's birthday (and that it had been Matthew's birthday recently too), so she brought us special desserts. The whole restaurant sang to Greta! Here she is finally deciding to try out the ice cream...with her fingers. She ended up shoveling a bunch of it into her mouth, and then quickly signalled to me that she was FINISHED! I think she finally realized she had had plenty to eat! She ate so much at the restaurant.
Not as into the ice cream eaten from a spoon...
Yay!!!
A note about this bonnet...Nanny Kathy made it for Greta awhile back. It's still a bit big for her, but I thought it would be a great Easter bonnet. It's beautiful! We bought the Easter dress at an antique store in Bellingham, Washington.
This is her tea set from Grandpa Paul. She especially loves the yellow spoons that came with it...but it looks like she enjoys the teapot as well!
Having a tea party with baby :-)
After church--and to think last year at Easter she was only a week old and it was our first outing together as a family!
We had TONS of people at our house for her birthday party yesterday!!! Here she is opening a gift from Grandpa Mac and Grandma Linda: my old doll bed! My Grandma Mom (as I called her...my mom's mom who passed 10 years ago...) made this for me when I was little. Now Greta has a bed for her baby doll!
The child in the plaid, and the girl in the photo, are 2 of the the 3 children I used to nanny: Jett and Declan. They are some of Greta's first friends--as she used to come with me when I tutored the girl over the last 7 months or so. I don't work with them anymore--and Greta was so happy to see them! They were happy to see her too. Max--the 4 year old boy--made a card for Greta that said "I love you."
Downing the cake!!!
A little taste...
A tiny taste...
What do I do with this?
Greta loved on me SO MUCH after we all sang to her! All these people were taking photos and I think she was doing a little extra special behavior for the paparazzi...but I LOVED it!!!
Ready for cake! Papa made a yummy apple cake with lemon cream cheese frosting.
Happy Birthday Dear Greta!
Our house was the fullest we've EVER HAD IT the whole time we've been married. It was so fun to have so many children over. They had a blast playing with all of Greta's toys!
Aunt Jenny and Greta...pre-party. She's not too sure about that head-band...
Matthew getting things ready...
Nanny Kathy painted this rocking chair for Greta (Nana Judy has one for her too at her house, and my dad has my old one waiting for her at his house!!! I guess we need to have a couple more children...?)
I think Greta feels very grown up and special in this chair :-)
Mom and Shayne came early yesterday to look after Greta while I did some work and Matthew prepped for the party. They took her to the park and out for a muffin...she had tons of fun with them! I always see grandparents with their little ones at our park down the street, so it was special to know my mom and Shayne got to have that bonding time with Greta.

2 comments:

melissa said...

happy birthday greta!

Deanna said...

Happy First Birthday Greta Bess! And congrats M and M at making it through a whole year of parenthood! It is so fun to see you both adoring your amazing daughter (which is very obvious even through cyberspace!)