Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Grandpa Mac and Grandma Linda

Last weekend my dad and Linda came for a visit. I wanted them to have some special time with Greta, as they don't see her that often, so I suggested Matthew and I go out for a bit. Dad and Linda were excited about this, but Greta seemed a little wary of them--I thought that would surely pass and she'd end up having a great time with them while Mama and Papa had a little date. Well, I guess she was alright for about an hour or so, but the last 40 minutes she just cried and cried and cried and was completely inconsolable!!! When we returned her eyes were all red and puffy and she just melted in my arms. Wow, I felt TERRIBLE. I should've listened to Matthew, for one thing, and it was awful to see my daughter so upset. In this photo here she is still "keeping it together"--fascinated with Grandpa Mac's guitar. This was her first introduction to the real live instrument. Despite this novelty, she still wondered where her Mama and Papa were, and it did not distract her for long. Separation anxiety has certainly set in.
Feeling much better now that Mama and Papa are back home. Here are Greta and Papa ready to go out to a church event for the evening. She got to stay up late this night--until after 9! She did pretty well. Being around a lot of people really energizes her.
Linda was so sweet and remembered I had liked this hat we saw together at a store in Gig Harbor a few months ago. She bought it for me for my birthday! A long night at a church function now over, we are all ready to go home and get some rest.
The next morning Dad played the guitar for Greta some more. It took me back to when I was little and he'd play all kinds of songs! He put on quite the little concert, and at some points we were all singing along and Greta was even tapping to the beat.
At church Sunday morning. Greta is wearing a dress my Great Aunt Jane made for my sister when she was a little one. There's a really cute portrait of Jenny--with very rosy baby cheeks--in this dress.
I'm thinking it would be good to put up photos of all of Greta's grandparents in her room--that way they might not seem like such strangers to her when she gets to see them. She has so much family!
Watching Grandpa Mac. During this visit she really did get to spend a lot of time with her grandparents. Hopefully next time they can pick up where they left off :-)
Watching so closely! Maybe if we gave her a guitar she'd be able to play it already? Oh, she's such a first born--such a little genius to her parents :-)
Why aren't you taking MY picture??? I know, I will climb up Mama's leg and make my way into the picture.
I am starting to feel the pressure of finding a full time job for February---that's when my maternity leave runs out. Thank you Canada for such an amazing benefit!!! But please please please provide me with a job when it's over. Many mothers just go back to their old jobs after their year long leave, they are entitled to. However, I don't have one to go back to, as I was just filling in for someone else's maternity leave at my last job. If you are the praying type, please pray that I will find some kind of nanny job where I can bring Greta along much or all of the time. Matthew and I cannot afford for me to continue to stay home once my leave runs out, and we can't afford quality child care either (plus I can't imagine parting with Greta for extended periods of time yet!!) The good thing is that Matthew's schedule, while completely full, will be open some days during the week--so he would be open to looking after Greta a bit when I work. But he will be SO BUSY with schoolwork and not able to realistically do it that much. Please pray that I find a good family in need of care and education for their children, and pray that they will be open to me bringing Greta along.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

We'll definitely be praying Megan. Any family would be lucky to have you looking after and helping to educate their little ones!