Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Recent Happenings

Greta has been practicing sitting up on her own more and more lately, and now she can sit on her own for quite awhile before tipping over! Today she did lots of sitting, and went from sitting to all fours, and then to climbing up on things. She loves to sit in front of Matthew or I, grab our fingers, and pull herself up to standing, and then lower herself back down to sitting---over and over and over!
What's that over there?!!
Greta is nearly always on the go. In fact today she did her first official "crawling"--the classic kind on all fours with step after step...it was so exciting to see!! We've been watching her gradually get to this point for a couple months now. She's gone from rolling around everywhere, to creeping, to getting on all fours, to rocking on all fours--and most recently she developed this system of getting around where she sort of lunges on all fours, plops herself down, lunges again and so on...you'd think it would hurt, but I guess not! She's really tough, and rarely cries when she bonks on something.
Now that she has the strength AND the coordination to really, truly crawl I think we're going to be chasing her around soon.
Another development from this week: Greta can clap! She started doing it over the weekend, and she receives continuous positive reinforcement for this behavior (it's SO CUTE!) that I think she's going to keep it up :-) We'll try to get a picture of the action soon.
About a week and a half ago my mom and Shayne came for a visit. Here are Greta and Grandma Kathy playing the piano. Greta put her hands over my mom's at times, and she watched really carefully as my mom played up and down on the keys. She seems really interested in the piano, and in music in general. We often put CDs on in her room--her favorite seems to be the Ella Jenkins multicultural songs for kids that I got at the library. I like that one too.
Lounging around with Grandma Kathy.
Matthew and I went out for a movie while mom and Shayne were here, so they had some fun bonding time with Greta. I guess Greta really liked leaning herself on my mom while they played on the floor together!
The two baldies! (Sorry Grandpa Shayne...)
Greta LOVES this ball. It has holes all around so she can easily grab it, but when it does get away from her she has such a look of determination on her face as she goes after it! She doesn't give up easily. Sometimes it will take her several tries to get the ball back in her hands again--she works really hard and usually without even a hint of a fuss.
Grandma Judy came and stayed with us last weekend, and she and Greta got to spend lots of time together. Although, it's never enough, is it Grandmas?!
Greta has been eating more and more solid foods lately. She especially loves pears. At dinner we put her in her chair with some toys while Matthew and I eat first, and then I feed her. Greta is SO patient and usually lets me eat my whole dinner before she starts fussing for her food (even after her toys have nearly all been dropped to the floor!)
Wearing her little black dress from Grandma Judy :-)
On Tuesday mornings I take Greta to her swimming class. Here she is, ready to get in the pool!
Riding in the boat.
The pool is very chilly! Greta likes it better when she gets to dangle her feet in the hot tub...but she has never once cried or fussed during the swimming class. I think she likes the water.
Kick kick kick kick kick kick kick!!
Greta was a little more interested in the prospect of crawling on this board--rather than kicking from it.
Often times at swim class I snuggle her in really close to help her warm up--otherwise she gets a very chattery chin!

We've been having a great time lately, as you can see. This weekend we look forward to our dear friends Curtis and Julia coming for a visit with their 1 year old daughter Lillian. It will be Greta's first Halloween! We will have to get a costume settled for her soon...

Greta is such a little sweetie---I really can't say that enough. BUT the last few nights she has been testing us with lots of crying!! From gas to constipation to teething...to just plain neediness...we have been kept up more than usual lately. I can deal with this pretty well, because I don't have to get up too early the next morning, and I don't have the same stresses Matthew has with school and work. Poor Matthew has suffered from a bit of sleep deprivation lately, and it comes at a time when he is very, very busy. We are hoping this is a not a new trend for Greta!

At any rate, I DO get many moments of satisfaction trying to calm my little baby at night--it's all worth it when she snuggles up close to me for comfort :-)

4 comments:

Judy said...

I love the new pictures - especially the sitting up ones! Such a big girl and she is growing up so quickly! Love, love, love that baby!

Nathan and Mareesa said...

This is a great post, Megan, she is growing up so fast! What a gorgeous girl :)

I hope the nights calm down soon.

Unknown said...

I hope we can come up soon -- still working on the passport thing...but we miss you guys and hopefully we'll get up there before the end of next month!

melissa said...

aw, she just gets cuter and cuter. :)