Thursday, June 4, 2009

Happy 2 Month Birthday!






Well it's officially Greta's 2 month birthday today. I'm especially aware of that since I spent 10 minutes singing about it while I tried to keep her from crying so I could take a shower this morning!! Greta has increased her crying output lately. Supposedly this is normal. We got a booklet and video about the "period of purple crying" when we left the hospital after she was born. Inconsolable, unexplainable baby crying peaks at about 2 months and then settles down by 5 months. But I really can't complain much, because she is still a pretty content and easy going little girl. It's mostly the evenings when she gets so wired she can't settle herself down! I've taken to going for walks with her or just keeping her in the baby sling during these times. I figure it won't last forever, and the most important thing right now is for her to learn to trust...not for her to learn to go to sleep by herself. Fortunately she does sleep well at night, though. By midnight, when Matthew and I are going to bed, she usually falls asleep in her crib on her own and then sleeps for 5-7 hours straight! She then wakes up to feed and goes back to sleep easily for another 3-5 hours--and even though we put her to sleep on her back, she usually switches to her side. Greta is a very active baby and tires herself out during the day. At 7.5 weeks she rolled over for the first time all on her own!! I love to talk about this and am a very proud mama. The average baby doesn't roll over until 5 months of age, so Greta is quite the little acrobat. Greta can also climb over the U-shaped nursing pillow I prop her on. One day I left her propped on it while I went to the bathroom and when I came back she had hoisted herself over it and then I got to watch her shimmy her way down onto the ground--all without a fuss! She's slim and trim but oh so strong. Matthew and I have so much fun with her. We have discovered little things that make her smile, and we see lots of smiles now. Also, she can be quite talkative and especially loves when we copy the sounds she makes. She really gets on a roll and tells us lots of stories!

2 comments:

Judy said...

She is so precious! It looks like she may be a redhead too. I love the pictures. Thank you so much for the update.

melissa said...

aww, she is such a cutie.