Friday, November 14, 2008

It's a Girl! Part II

Matthew and I both thought it was a boy for some reason.....but we are overjoyed to know that we are having a daughter! Greta Bess Bradsher is on her way.

For several weeks we looked forward to this ultrasound, a routine procedure for all mothers-to-be at around 20 weeks of pregnancy. We couldn't wait to see the baby, make sure it was developing properly, and find out if it was a daughter or a son. When we arrived at the ultrasound place, though, we were told we wouldn't find out the sex of the baby! Due to BC abortion laws, technicians and doctors are not allowed to tell parents the sex of their baby until after 24 weeks of pregnancy. I was so disappointed!! The technician said that sometimes the baby makes his or her sex really obvious, though--and in that case there's no way around the parents knowing what it is. However, I would NOT have known by the looks of things that it was a girl...all of the sudden the technician just told us--despite what she'd said earlier!! She said "It's a little girl!" and I said "Matthew did you hear that?!" and looked over at him and he just looked dumbfounded and so happy and nodded and said with a laugh "Mmmm Hmmm"---I must say I did shed a little tear of joy :-) I would've been happy either way, of course, but KNOWING is so huge! In general the technician said the baby looked healthy and beautiful--all her organs and her spine were great, and she is in a great position. I am a little worried, though, because she's already 1 pound 6 ounces--at 20 weeks! My book says by 21 weeks baby is supposed to be 12 ounces....yikes!!! We've got a good and healthy one in there.

It's even more fun to talk to baby and about baby now--she's even more of a real person to us now that we know she's our little Greta. We can't wait to see her again in a little less than 20 weeks!

2 comments:

Judy said...

Matt & Megan,

I am excited about little Greta Bess more than I can say. Can't wait to meet her and hold her and spoil her really good! jb

melissa said...

i can't wait to meet greta! :)