Monday, May 4, 2009

Happy 1 Month Birthday!

Today Greta is 1 month old. This month has really flown by--even though at times it was so tiring it seemed it would go on and on...Right now Greta is peacefully sleeping on her quilt here in our living room. She's had a busy day of being held by Grandma Kathy and Grandpa Shayne, as well as being weighed down the street at the community health center. She's nearly back to her birth weight, not even an ounce to go! What a relief. That has been the biggest issue this first month. She lost more weight than the "average" baby right after birth (12%--they like babies only to lose between 7 and 10% the first few days after birth) and my milk was slow in coming in with abundance. So she's been weighed many times this month and I've had to supplement her with a bit of formula as well as take some medicine to increase my milk supply. But I'm done with the formula and have plenty of milk now. It was a bit rough for awhile, though--I felt inadequate as a mother (which I guess is completely normal...but difficult to deal with nonetheless) because of the combination of having to have a cesarean as well as not being able to feed my baby naturally. I'm learning there's always something to worry about now that I'm a parent, and the worry of a parent can be all consuming! But more powerful than the worry is the love we feel for Greta--so much love that it's hard to know what to do with it, we feel like we might burst! This is definitely the best thing that's ever happened to us.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy one month Greta Bess!! I am so excited to see all of you on Saturday for your shower!

Judy said...

I can't wait to see you all this weekend too. Little Greta is such a blessing!